Late Summer Inspirations

August 20, 2010

Last week, I took a midweek city escape, taking a quick train ride up the Hudson River (gorgeous trip!) just twenty minutes or so and ended up at Wave Hill, a lovely small garden that folks in the Know had told me to hit.   Last week, they had their last sunset garden tour and I couldn't resist.  Families were picnicking, flowers were on high alert and artists were painting. It was heaven!   One thing I really loved were the chairs. I had seen similar chairs on shoots but these are the real deal. They were created for Wave Hill and are a variation of the famous Rietveld design.  They sell them in the gift shop for $200 and up and are handmade at the Wave Hill Studio. I'm going to add these beauties to my daydream about backyards and sleeping porches. 



Perhaps it's the elephant ears down mad in the park or all the herbs in the window but I am foliage crazy right now.  This classic "Martinique" wallpaper decorated the glam  Beverly Hills Hotel and comes in a few colorways.  I feel like I see this in a lot of Country Clubs too.  Something about it makes me want to break out the rattan ware and host bridge club. I think I'd wear original Lilly and serve shrimp salad in avocado. Sounds about right... 






Summer drinks are my favorite-light, diverse and well, did I mention light?  Being mid-August, I'm getting that itch to be somewhere surrounded by water that isn't NYC.  Maybe it's Capri or Santorini but some place where the locals score an A+ at lounging. THOSE are my people.  In their honor, I'd drink a campari cocktail.  I only have one when I drink them but it is almost as good as a ticket on Alitalia.  




Campari and Soda



Ingredients

1 oz. Campari

2 oz. Club soda

1 Orange slice







Preparation


Pour Campari over ice in a highball glass. Add club soda. Garnish with an orange slice.












PS Happy150th Birthday, Campari!

Live large, 
fb






















2 comments:

Henley on the Horn said...

Listen, baby, you head on down to FL and I will have a Campari cocktail in hand when I pick you up at the airport!!! Forget the Reunion!!! Head to where the people lounge the best!!! It's all flip flops and lounging around here. I didn't know we share a love for sleeping porches! Perhaps it's all those fun Camp Greystone days....

Anonymous said...

I fell in love with this wallpaper a few years back, remember the movie "The Birdcage" ? well it inspired me to wallpaper my guest room, however I choose the deep red background with the banana leaves and I LOVE it.

400 Square Feet All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger