From seeds to something

May 3, 2010

This Christmas, I received a lovely package of heirloom seeds and after admiring them, promptly put them away.   A few weeks ago,  when the gray looming skies from winter continued over the City, I pulled them out, itching to move spring forward.  Having never planted seeds outside of elementary school, I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. The seeds were given as a gift and didn't have any planting instructions or even what they were but I was game for trying.

I googled "starting with seeds" and found out that I was suppose to put them on top of some dirt then cover and let germinate in a dark, warm spot.  I had just made deviled eggs so I filled the egg carton with dirt, put seeds on top, covered with the egg carton top then put on top of my refrigerator where I immediately forgot about them.  The night before Easter, I am pulling out dishes and find this strange item with green leaves sticking out.  I couldn't believe it-the germination part had worked.  (Why had I thought this was so complicated?)  The same excitement I got in grade school returned, giving me a ridiculous sense of accomplishment.






My window sills have always had some assortment of herbs but I did it the lazy (more expensive) way and bought mature plants.  I get northern light which lasts a good portion of the day so replanting the seeds into a pot with more room and hope for the best.  It's joining a few other plants- lemon balm, mint and basil  in the window sill plant party and  I am rooting them on!





Still unsure what is coming but the anticipation can't be beat.


Wish  me luck as my thumb is only pale green.

Live large,

Frances

1 comments:

Henley on the Horn said...

I love it! I can't wait to see what you grow! :)

400 Square Feet All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger