Why blog?

September 25, 2009


As an Editor at Country Living Magazine, I have been reading design and lifestyle blogs for several years. At first, there were just a few. Then, in what seriously felt overnight, every company, shop owner, fashionista, musician, painter, not to mention friends, were blogging. It has become a bit overwhelming to keep up with. It feels like a part-time job to read emails, texts, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter and blogs on everyone's lives. At first I revolted at the urge to join. It was WORK and who has TIME. It also felt intrusive. I didn't care for anyone to know where I ate, drank, danced, shopped or played. Doesn't anyone care about privacy anymore? I wondered. Besides I secretly felt that deep down, I'd rather be "doing" life than writing about.


Then, slowing I realized that I had to. It was a practice with flirting. Flirting with new technology. Flirting with a new way of thinking. Flirting with a new way of seeing the city that I live and love-New York City. As a single girl in Manhattan, I figured practicing flirting is never a bad thing.

I haven't figured out yet the when and how I'll post (consistency has never been my strongsuit) but I do know the what part. Talking to friends and family who always say " you should write that down", this blog is my response. It'll be about living, working, and entertaining in 400 square feet (hence the name of the blog). While some say small, I say cozy. Writer instructors say to write about what you know. Well, I know about living well in small quarters.

So, here is my first ever blog posting. Wish me luck!

ps. This picture was taken by the uber-talented Laura Summerhill Coleman who's own blog, cloverlandfarm.blogspot, is a favorite.


4 comments:

Henley on the Horn said...

I love it!!! Frances, I am so excited that you are blogging!! As you probably know, I have a blog and have found it's a fun outlet. I agree, some people's blogs are too intrusive, but I know you will find the perfect way to share your creativity with all of us!! I can't wait for your next post!!!!

Henley on the Horn said...

I am ready for your next post!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome!!!

hello@francesbailey.com said...

Thanks, ya'll!!

NEW

400 Square Feet All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger